Saturday, April 19, 2008

Play Day!

Hellows!

I recently had the chance for a play day with three of my art buds. Aside from the red wine with flowers in it and the yummy lunch, we made ART. Yeeehaaaaa!

Project fabric paper commence!

Ann, Diane and Wendy - making art fun


Some of the completed fabric papers drying

I can't seem to get away from RED!

Except for when it comes to wisteria images

Love the stripy result in this one

Here's the process:


  1. Start with a work surface you can easily transport to your drying area. We used these kitchen oven trays. We then overlaid them with a sheet of clear plastic to further aid with moving the completed designs.

2. Lay two pieces over baby muslin cut to your chosen size. Baby muslin is a general name for fine open weave muslin. Surgical muslin would be suitable. We cut our pieces to fit the full size of the tray to allow for the most options later in creating.

3. Create a mix of approximately 1/3 white glue to 2/3 water then using a foam brush, sponge the glue mix into the muslin.

4. Lay printed tissues, plain tissues, the top layer of serviettes, flat items such as leaves, fabric and lace onto your muslin surface. Saturate further with the water/glue mixture.

5. Spray selected areas with inks of your choice. We mainly used Adirondack Colorwash Inks from Ranger. Further mist with water to blend if necessary, then set aside to dry.

This is my completed piece ready to be embellished, hung, cut into, stitched onto, used to cover - SOMETHING! Just not sure what yet!

The best thing about the resulting paper is that the muslin backing makes it super flexible and strong just like a piece of fabric.

Be sure to let me know if you have a go - I'd love to see what you come up with!

Bye for now.

~Kathleen

4 comments:

Shell said...

WOW!!! I love what you've done! And I REALLY love that you've shared HOW to do it!! I'm definitely going to have a go at this :)

Kathleen said...

Glad you like :) Be sure to send a link so I can see what you came up with.
~Kathleen

Lynn Anne said...

oh, evil! I'm going to be looking at paper napkins a whole 'nother way over the next few weeks...and my dh will likely want your head off when he sees me taking over the basement again..haven't done anything that was that large AND messy since marbling (Which I haven't done for about a year now...he has to leave the house for a few hours before I can take it all out...) but I SO want to try this now! How much glue do you end up needing for a single sheet like the one you show on the blog? (Want to have enough on hand..)

carole brungar said...

Wow! I've just discovered your blog! Thanks for the tut, and I'm dying to know where your store is! :)kiwi carole